How can I participate?
A pilot project is currently ongoing in the province of Quebec to test the feasibility of the citizen science project eTick.ca. The electronic submission process takes less than 3 minutes by specimen. Please note that for this pilot project, only specimens collected on animals or in the environment will be accepted.
To participate, all you need to do is:
- Create an account (first visit only) by clicking on “sign up” in the top left corner of the home page.
- Ensure that your specimen is really a tick (consult “what is a tick” on the homepage).
- Take a few pictures of the tick (consult photographic guide on the homepage).
- Enter your specimen information and upload your pictures by clicking on “Submit ticks” in the top menu.
- Send you specimen in the mail at the address provided below.
In the context of this first public project, it is necessary to mail your specimen at the following address to obtain your identification result:
2600 College Street, Sherbrooke
QC, Canada, J1M 1Z7
Details for shipping specimens: If your tick is still alive, it can be euthanized by placing it in a small plastic container (e.g. a pill bottle) in the freezer for about 20 minutes (this can also help for taking pictures). You must then write the unique eTick.ca identification number on the container (this number will be provided at the end of your online submission) and mail it in a small box or a small padded envelope. Each tick must be put in a separate container but multiple containers can be posted in the same package.